So, I never did my “2017 year in review” post. It was plagued by missed launches, delays in building, and not having motor making setup very well. Oh, and blowing my Villain up.
I made two motors for the first launch of the year. a 38mm 6 grain to fit in loki 38/740 hardware. This is the one I was worried about. It flew well, but it took off like a bat out of hell. My density was crap, and I believe getting my vacuum setup going will take care of this issue. The second motor was a four grain 54mm in Loki 54/1600 hardware. It got 50 feet off the pad and blew. I was thinking it was a safe-isa motor. it was not and looking back at the numbers I should have known the density sucked. lesson painfully learned.
The next flight was meant as a test flight for my new AIM XTRA tracking/DD setup. Just wanted to get something in the air, so I used old reliable Emerald Dragon. Only had an H250G left in the motor pile to use, so dan kindly let me fly a 38/3 grain of his. yet again he failed to blow up ED ;). Was a nice short safe flight, however the altimeter lost power after apogee deployment, and the main never came out. 😦 ED came out a little rough but ok, the 3D sled destroyed itself, XTRA survived and has flown again.
My final flight of the year I was determined to get a good XTRA test before my L3. I had my MAC Zodiac built, so I quickly painted it up, installed the XTRA and mixed up a batch with my last 400g of AP. Wasn’t an impressive motor, and admittedly a little underpowered for the Zodiac, but a nice clean burn on a 38/2 grain. It arced over and I spent an hour climbing in thorns only to realize I got excited and lost. Rocket was 100 yards away sitting calmly in an open field. I was impressed with the data the XTRA returns. I really like this altimeter.
I was unable to fly my L3, but she should be ready to go this summer. Motor is sitting in a box, rocket is ready to fly.
I’m piecing together my Vacuum setup, getting a line on some AP, and working out hardware to run 38mm 2″ grains for all my cases. Figure 2,4, and 6 will be good sizes for now. Once thats set, Possibly try a 54mm 5 grain. Then get the rest of my 75mm 3 grain case setup with thrust, snap, and o rings. I’ll likely do a few bigger motors, but my focus is getting a good clean process for 38mm and try to work toward a 1200 sized case.
This is the first year I have not flown an Optima. It’s also the first time I’ve only flown EX motors.